All content on this blog is copyright by Marci Andrews Wahlquist as of its date of publication.

Thursday, May 27, 2010

Books and More Books

Yesterday I said I probably wouldn’t be rereading the next several books in the Tarzan series, but today I’ve changed my mind. In spite of the things that are “incorrect” today, I want to have a rip-roaring proxy adventure, and Tarzan is certainly that. It’s somewhat mindless sheer energetic fun, without me having to get too tired having it either. What a gift, huh? It’s off to Fantasy-Africa I go.

I just finished reading another in the No. 1 Ladies’ Detective Agency series by Alexander McCall Smith. I really like that series. It makes me want to go to Botswana, where the books suggest things seem simpler and people more honorable—although if they were all that honorable, where would the business for the detective agency come from? I would not actually want to go see the world of these books though, because I would just be another tourist from the USA and it is only in the books that I can be part of the society around such a woman as Mma Ramotswe. If I ever actually went to Africa, my reasons for going have to be better than to see the places where novels were set. Africa somehow commands more.

Another book I’m currently reading is Jacques Cousteau’s The Living Sea, a follow-up to his first autobiographical book, The Silent World. He’s a talented writer, turning science into entertainment and keeping everything extremely interesting. The books make me want to scuba dive. As if! Since realistically that’s not in my future, I’m happy to have these books.

My book group decided to read John Steinbeck’s Travels with Charley. I can’t remember if I’ve ever read it or not. I know enough about the book that I think maybe I have, but I just am not sure. I sort of think I read an excerpt in Reader’s Digest long, long ago. It will be fun to reconnect with Steinbeck’s character and the dog on their cross-country travels.

A friend of mine got me started on the Goodreads website (www.goodreads.com) and I have way too many books on my “to be read” list already. I sometimes wish I could get the list down to a manageable size, but then I get panicky that I’m running out of interesting new books. Not that that will ever happen in the real world. It’s time to end on an apt cliché:

So many books, so little time.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are welcome but don't show up until I approve them. If they get lost (and sometimes they do), please try again!