All content on this blog is copyright by Marci Andrews Wahlquist as of its date of publication.

Wednesday, August 23, 2017

Your Dog Did What During the Eclipse?

I saw a number of ridiculous posts on Facebook over the past week leading up to the solar eclipse across the United States about how people needed to prepare their pets and animals for the great event. What if the animals didn’t have eye protection and went blind by looking into the sun at the wrong time? Horrors!

I couldn’t help but laugh. Who has a pet that looks into the sun at any time? Does the cat check out the sun going behind a cloud? Nope. Does your dog watch the sunset? I didn’t think so. Are there mass numbers of farm animals and wild animals all over the country running around blind because they stared at the sun? Not hardly. Animals know better than to look at the sun. Duh! They have good instincts! We don’t (much)!

Yet in those horror scenarios the writers had the audacity to “quote” veterinarians who suggested keeping the animals indoors. No way was any reputable vet quoted saying anything of the kind. If any vets out there tell me they suggested such a thing, I’m going to call their licensing boards. Are you kidding me? You must be kidding me.

Our dog didn’t like the eclipse. Where I live, we got about 91% of the eclipse, so it did not get dark, but the light was dimmer than usual. The temperatures dropped significantly. It was a hot morning and the afternoon was beastly hot.

Anyway, during the eclipse, not having obtained eclipse glasses, we were all out on the patio, mostly under our awning. We did try to see the shadow in the holes of the kitchen colander, but apparently we’re all too dumb to make that work. We forgot completely to look at the shadows cast by the tree leaves. Our neighbors did that and their photographs are beautiful. So I just had my son stand in the sunlight and “be” the eclipse for my camera. We had a laptop on the table out there to watch the online experience of folks in Madras, Oregon (where some of my cousins live) and Idaho Falls, Idaho (where one of my brothers lives).
Forty-five minutes until maximum eclipse.
You can see the reflection at the top shows the progress.
Yeah, okay, we had the colander out but were too dumb to work it right
Ten minutes to go
The full eclipse that we were able to get!
This is 91% of the sun eclipsed. With its awesome power, you
can barely tell anything is different. But the light was dimmer
and the temperature dropped. (See the reflection near the bottom.)
So we watched the total eclipse online. Not the same thing!

Meanwhile the dog did not like what was going on. He went into his house and looked at us with reproachful eyes. “What are you doing to make things so weird?” he seemed to be asking. He got back up, ran out onto the lawn and retrieved his favorite toy and took it to the safety of his house. He shut his eyes and waited for it all to be over with.
What are you doing to make things so weird?
I’m just going to wait until this is all over . . .

He did not once look up at the sky.

2 comments:

  1. I must admit that I slept through the whole thing. I had to work that night and really did not care, a bit like the dog, about what was happening outside. It was funny to see the traffic on the freeway when I crossed over it on my way to work. I read that it took until about 11 pm for everyone to get down through Pocatello and out of Idaho.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our next-door neighbors did it right. They left here at 4 a.m. and drove to Shelley. They played and napped in a park until time, experienced the total eclipse, and were back here at home by 3 p.m. Their friends/kin who went on to Rexburg spent an extra 5 hours going 5 mph on the freeway.

      Delete

Comments are welcome but don't show up until I approve them. If they get lost (and sometimes they do), please try again!